Professional Learning Services provides leadership, technical assistance, resources and consultative services to the Georgia education community in order to improve student learning through organizational development and professional learning (staff development).
Continuous learning has always been advocated as a fundamental part of the teaching profession. Teachers are able to develop the skills and knowledge they require not only to improve their teaching practice, but to also improve student learning. Professional learning environments support these endeavors.
Belief statements about Professional Learning from the National Staff Development Council:
- The primary purpose of professional learning is to improve learning of a diverse student population.
- Professional learning is fundamental to school improvement.
- Professional learning facilitates effective change and innovation in a mutually supportive environment.
- Professional learning is a shared process that promotes growth in individuals and organizations.
- Professional learning responds to the diverse needs of all personnel.
- Professional learning is an integral component of school and school system programs.
- Planning and decisions in professional learning programs must include those who receive the training.
- Effective professional learning must be based on theory, research and sound practice.
- Effective professional learning is responsive to the life-long needs of adult learners.
For more detailed information, access the Professional Learning Services web page on the Georgia Department of Education's website.